I know you’re humming it after reading that title. We’ve all been there. Bad days are a healthy part of life but boy do they suck. Here are 5 ways to make a bad day suck less.
- Take a bath or shower | Locking that bathroom door and letting the mirrors fog can be the perfect remedy. You can pump some tunes* and just be isolated for a while. Everyone knows that all your problems melt away while you’re in the shower.
- Barnes & Nobel | this place is my best kept bad day secret. I live for sitting in the isle of their store, breathing in new books and skimming covers for pretty pictures and catchy colors. Sometimes the commitment of starting a 300 page book can cause stress, so instead of actually buying a new book, just reading the descriptions on the back could do the trick.
- Create a Mantra | this might mean digging into the cause of your bad day, but not only does it help with coping it also can be a preventative measure for future bad days. A mantra, for those who don’t know, is a set of repeated sounds that give off a meditational feel. It could be as simple as your typical ‘om’ sound you’d normally think of, or a phrase of words that lift your spirt up. My personal favorite, taken from Malcolm in the Middle’s Reece is “I’m a lean, mean, fighting machine”. Sounds silly, but repeated thoughts become actions. Send yourself good vibes.
- Keep Busy| I’m a strong believer in out of sight out of mind. It’s absolutely okay to sit around and let off some steam over a bad day, but eventually your sadness may begin to frustrate you, and this is when you need to keep busy. Whether it be cleaning, rearranging, crafting, or working, honestly anything to get your mind to some place else will do you some good.
- Get outside | there’s just something about nature that makes everything better. Go on a bike ride, walk your dog, tend to your garden, or even better have a glass of wine on the porch. Looking around, I bet you’ll begin to appreciate what beautiful world surrounds you and how little a bad day really means in retrospect to your life.
*Here’s a little bay day playlist I put together. For my apple music fans I made it public & it’s titled Bad Dayz. It’s a solid 33 minutes so it’ll definitely last while you waste all the hot water in your house.